From the Office
Congratulations to our Music teacher, Mrs. Dani Binzak and her husband John and son Luke, they added a new member this week – Jude Daniel, born on Monday, Aug. 17th! Welcome to the IHM family Jude!
Back to School Day for ALL GRADES ECE, 4K, and K-8
is only a week away! If you haven’t yet, please sign up for a slot for your family (one slot per family!): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080b4fa4a72ca31-back
. Please sign up and plan to come in, even if your students are going to be virtual.
It will be a time for you to check in with the teacher and drop-off or pick-up!
ECE and Middle School will have virtual orientations on Thursday, July 27th. Teachers will be sending invitations to those meetings soon!
For our Monona Grove 4K families:
- Please be aware that if you are using IHM care for your Monona Grove student, it is an IHM program and may include some religion exposure.
- Even though the Monona Grove 4K program is virtual (although many students will be here during their class time for care) it will still be staggered start – either Tuesday, Sept 1st or Wednesday, Sept. 2nd. Your first day to be the day that the MG School District told you it would be. Wraparound will start on the day of your staggered start for your student.
- The 4K students have two supply lists – depending on whether they are totally virtual, or coming to school for an IHM program. Both are linked below! Contact Ms. Connor at email@example.com if you have any questions!
We are making lots of decisions about what this year will look like. These are a few that we wanted you to know about:
- I am happy to report that the IHM Endowment Fund will be covering the cost of the Badger Face Shields for all students and staff! These shields will be sanitized every night and kept at school. Students should still have a mask for entering and leaving the school. We would prefer that students wear the face shield, if possible, but a mask will be allowed as well. They can also wear both. The shields will be ordered shortly, but will not be here when school begins, so each students will need to start the school year with two-masks per day.
- I want to reiterate that IHM will not allow visors without an appointment into the building, including parents. This is very different from our normal model, and may pose some significant challenges with first day drop-offs, and other things we haven’t anticipated. Please be patient and flexible as we try to work with this new system that is required for us to stay open!
- Specials this year will be altered significantly. These are our initial thoughts, the situation will evolve as we have actual students in the actual classrooms.
- Music will not be held in the first trimester. Mrs. Binzak created content for Middle School students while on maternity leave to self-study while at school.This is not the ideal situation (what about this year is ideal!) but the best option so we can use the music classroom as an extra space to spread out.
- Foreign Languages – Mrs. Ili Rojas, our Middle School Spanish teacher last year, is moving to Texas with her family. Mrs. Linsenmeyer will be teaching all of the Foreign Languages for the whole building.
- Art – The Middle School Art tables will be moved to the back of Marian Hall, and Dr. Maynord will teach art there, to enable adequate distancing in the computer lab.
- New Media (Computer) K & 1 will be in the computer lab to use the computers, the rest of the school will have New Media class in their own classrooms.
- Library classes will be held, but adapted to limit the number of students in the library space. Students will be able to check out books in small groups, and all returned library materials will be held for a week before being processed. Zoomers should contact Mrs. Winter about checking out books for their students.
- Middle School students will not be in mixed-grade homerooms to start the year. Mr. Schnell will have 8th grade, Mrs. Derks will have 7th grade, and Mrs. Veencamp will have 6th grade. There will also be no electives in the Middle School, to start, in order to keep separate cohorts of students.
- For grades K-8, there will be TWO school masses per week, Wednesday and Friday, of which each class will attend ONE. This will halve the number of students in each Mass time. When we have the schedule for class masses, we will let you know.
Still waiting on County procedures for COVID exposure in schools! We will share when it’s available! We do know that if a student has an exposure (within 6-feet for more than 15 minutes), they will be asked to quarantine for 14 days, or to stay home for 4 days and then produce a negative COVID test before they can come back.
Catholic Schools provide a firm foundation for the growth and development of your child. Pray for a year filled with faith and learning. Let us be a community of service to one another and to our world.
Callie Meiller, Principal